Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kavya : Letter and Words Recognition

Kavya started to identify upper case letters when she was around 2 and then couple of months later she got the hang of lower case letters too. Although sometimes she gets confused between some of the letters like 'b and d', 'l and I', 'M and W', 'n and h' , etc even today.

Gradually, she started to recognize words without actually knowing how to read. I guess they see them as images. For example she could recognize the word "Google".

Recently, an interesting incident happened. There is a boy named "Om" in Kavya's class. Each kid has a cubie in their class with their name written on it. Few days back I was wearing a T-shirt that had "ibm.com" written on it. Kavya came to me and pointed at the last two letters of "ibm.com" and said that this is what is written on Om's cubie :). Gaurav and I were so surprised (and happy too) to learn how she could recognize Om.

I then came to know that she can recognize the written names of all her classmates. I took her ToysRUs few days later and showed her some custom water bottles that had some names written on it and she could identify ("read") all the names that were the names of boy/girl in her class.

It is really interesting and amazing to know how these kids learn things from their surrounding.

No comments: