Monday, July 01, 2013

How far back do kids remember ?

Ishaan started school at Montessori Way when he was 2.5 years old (July 2011). He went there for little over a year before we shifted him to Challenger last year (Aug 2012). He was pretty set and happy at Montessori way. He loved his teachers and enjoyed his days there.

During the entire last year, we talked about Montessori way and the teachers some times, but we never visited the school. For this summer break, I figured it would be best to send Ishaan to Montessori school since it was familiar environment. When I went there with Ishaan to enroll him last month, he stayed very close to me and he seemed to not recognize his teachers or school building/classroom.

That surprised me quite a bit and made me wonder "How far back do kids remember?". I am sure each kid is different and some events/memories stick with them while others don't. May be at 4.5 years of age, it is hard to remember things from 1 year ago. I guess if we had visited the school in between and kept in touch with the students/teachers during that year, he might have remembered it.

He has been going there for about 3 weeks now, and while everyone is nice, he still doesn't like it as much as he used to like it before. He does not want to let go of me or Gaurav (whoever drops him off) and asks to be picked up early. Although, when I go to pick him up, he seems fine and happy.

Along the same lines, Kavya often says things like "Remember when I was 5, we did xyz...". While her recollection of xyz is accurate, the age is totally off. We might have done that when she was 3 or 4 or even 6. So, it seems that even if they remember things, they don't have the right concept of time/age associated with it.

It is also interesting how photographs help them remember. I have selected photos printed and nicely stored in photo albums and kids often pull out an album to look at their younger selves. And from time to time, they talk about some events from the past that they remember based on the photos they have seen.

When I try to remember my childhood, I only have few memories from 6-8 years range. Most of my memories are from when I was little older. I guess some memories fade away to make room for new ones :)

Very fascinating how human brain works !!


No comments: